Monday, April 21, 2008

What a difference an 'S' makes

So I get a call from my doctor's office telling me they are referring me to an orthopedic surgeon to take a look at my knee. They give me the time and date of the appointment, tell me I need to pick up the MRI films from the VA hospital to take to the doctor, and the address of his office. The office is located at 488 St. Lukes Drive in Montgomery.

I head off to my favorite mapping site, Google Maps, and enter the address. Only problem is that I entered it as St. Luke Drive. The results it gave me is this map. At first I noticed that the location is on the route that I use when I go to Maxwell AFB from the Gunter Annex. I didn't remember seeing a hospital or doctor office on the drive so I zoomed in. Much to my dismay, it was pointing me to the middle of the cemetery where Hank Williams is buried. Not that I would have any problem visiting a cemetery, especially one with a famous resident, but I don't think that a tear to my mid medial meniscus is fatal.

Anyway, I added an 'S' on the end of Luke and tried again. This time it wants to send me to an area just across from Baptist Medical Center East. I think this is a better place to look for a doctor, don't you?

2 comments:

kh said...

Given the many ways using such search services can trip one up, maybe our schools should be teaching Google 101.

I'm reminded of the time Mapquest kept me looping around downtown Indianpolis looking for an address that was actually over 10 miles away. That was an error in the software, though, not in how I typed it in.

Breezy said...

Maybe it was a sign from God.
Maybe he was saying that if next time you're typing in something for directions and you're not paying attention, the results could be fatal. You could end up in the bad part of montgomery and have your engine stolen or some random crazy thing like that.